Click for games
Chigwell Row Infants School Maths Curriculum
Purpose of study
A high quality maths education in Chigwell Row ensures that pupils develop confidence and mental fluency with whole numbers, counting and place value. At this young age, pupils should develop their ability to recognise, describe, draw, compare and sort different shapes and use the related vocabulary.
Aims - Our children,
· Are confident, secure, independent learners who can reflect on and evaluate their own learning.
· Are willing to explore and investigate ideas.
· Are active learners who have high self-esteem, are not afraid to take risks and can learn from their mistakes.
· Have positive attitudes towards all learning opportunities offered.
· Are effective communicators and collaborate well with each other.
· Make progress in relation to prior attainment to expected or better than expected levels.
· Are happy and excited to learn.
· Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems.
· Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry.
· Can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of simple and complex problems.
Maths is taught using the Power Maths Scheme. Maths is taught in units, at the end of every unit an assessment test is given to check the pupils are ready to move on to the next unit. To develop mastery in maths children need to be enabled to acquire a deep understanding of maths concepts, structures and procedures, step by step. Complex mathematical concepts are built on simpler conceptual components and when children understand every step in the learning sequence, maths becomes transparent and makes logical sense. Interactive lessons establish deep understanding in small steps, as well as effortless fluency in key facts such as tables and number bonds. The whole class works on the same content and no child is left behind. Maths is taught in units, at the end of every unit an assessment test is given to check the pupils are ready to move on to the next unit. Following this scheme we aim to ensure there are no gaps in the children’s learning and a steady progression is followed through the school.